Moog Animatics Announces the CDS7 Option
Once again, Moog Animatics raises the bar in servo motor design, features and ease of use with the release of its new CDS (CAN over D-Sub) option — CDS7. Available with the SM23165 SmartMotor™ series, it lets you create a CANopen network through either the DB-15 or the 7W2 D-Sub connector on top of the motor to make room for a brake and allowing it to be used in numerous vertical axis applications. When coupled with our new CDS7 Add-A-Motor™ cable, you can make a simple, single-cable, power and communications connection from motor to motor1 — no other integrated motor manufacturer offers this capability!
Unlike competitive CANopen devices, CDS7 features RS-232 auto-detection from SMI™ for easy setup and CAN network addressing. With CDS7, there is no need to individually address each motor in the CAN network on startup — SMI™ can detect and auto-address every SmartMotor™ in the system with just one line of code!2
Additionally, the new CDS7 option provides:
- A foolproof Pass-Thru Terminator, easily installed on the DB-15 connector of the last motor
- A compact design that decreases the required space in the machine
- Full backward compatibility with the previous CDS option, allowing CDS7 motors to be used in new or old systems3
Finally, by adding CDS7 to your SmartMotor™, you gain access to these proprietary SmartMotor™ features:
- Combitronic™ technology for simplified motor-to-motor communications
- I/O Device CAN Bus Mastering for simple, economical and effective total machine control with just the SmartMotor™
The new CDS7 option greatly improves ease of use, provides installation flexibility, and saves you time and money. Use the form on the right to contact our experts and learn more about the CDS7 option.
1 Proper termination is required at both ends of the bus. For details, see the Class 5 SmartMotor™ installation and CANopen guides.
2 Requires CDS7 SmartMotors and CDS7 Add-A-Motor cables or equivalent customer-supplied cables.
3 CDS7 Add-A-Motor cables are not compatible with the older –CDS motors. If a CDS7 motor is being used in an older CDS system, it must be wired like the other –CDS motors in that system. See the Class 5 SmartMotor™ installation and CANopen guides.